Suggestions & Complaints

Medical aid is coverage for medical expenses provided to those who qualify and are not insured elsewhere and it is dependent on your family income. Applicants should expect a response within 4 to 8 weeks after submitting their documents.Emergency Medical Aid may also be provided – but needs to be supported by a medical declaration from a Specialist.If you are in need of legal assistance, contact the Department of Social Services.

Eligibility Requirements

  • A Dutch national who has been registered at the census office longer than three months prior to the date of application
  • A non-Dutch national in the possession of a valid permanent residence permit, who has been registered at the census office longer than five years prior to application
  • One who is registered as unemployed and is actively seeking employment

Documents Required

  • A complete medical assistance application form
  • A registration form from the census office
  • A copy of passport and a copy of valid ID card
  • A copy of Residence permit (if applicable)
  • Copy of utility bills (GEBE, Telem, and Cable)
  • Proof of income – salary slips, pension letter (SZV, APNA, GOVERNMENT, etc.), rental (Apartment or land), child support, alimony, settlement, etc.
  • Proof of expenditure – rent receipt, loans, etc.
  • Proof of legal guardianship of minor children (if applicable)
  • Proofs that the applicant was actively looking for work (Negative response letters from companies where they applied)
  • A letter from SZV stating you are not SZV insured
  • Medical evaluation -A valid doctor’s letter stating applicant’s ability to work

Duration of the Coverage

  • Senior citizens (60 years and older) and those physically impaired coverage for 5 years
  • Children from 0 – 12 years coverage for 5 years
  • Children from 13 – 17 years coverage for the amount of years remaining until their 17th birthday
  • Applicant 18 to 59 years old coverage for one year

Note: Persons who fall within the Labor Market category, between ages 18 – 55, who are seeking medical and financial assistance from the Department of Social Services are also required to register as unemployed at the Department of Labor Affairs. These persons must actively search for employment and will therefore also be referred to a Job Placement Officer.